Friday, December 7, 2018

Our Friend Ed Retires! A Tribute to a Great Guy

Ed managed NASA Shuttle Outreach and loves photography
If you want to know anything about NASA, our friend Ed, who also has been my boss (and a good friend) for the last 17 years, is the guy to ask. He's been with NASA for 35 years and has worked NASA Shuttle missions, worked at NASA Headquarters, NASA Johnson Space Flight Center in Texas, and NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. He's also an amazing photographer, Margarita connoisseur, and has brought me my favorite Dunkin' Donuts coffee each Friday for many years.
    In today's blog you'll learn about Ed, and read my tribute to a true-life superhero. 

Ed outside a NASA building
Ed's Retirement countdown clock
He's retiring as the News Chief (I'm his Deputy) from Goddard, and he's had an amazing career... one that EVERYONE in the U.S. and beyond has been affected by. Here's why:
  
ED'S AMAZING CAREER - Most people today remember the NASA Shuttle Challenger with the first teacher in space, Christa McAuliffe. Well, Ed was THE public affairs officer for the Teacher in Space and the Shuttle program during the tragic Challenger explosion.

Ed displaying some of his amazing photos
HIS PROUDEST MOMENT, AND WORST MOMENT - During a presentation Ed gave about his career, he said that after years of work on Teacher in Space, his proudest moment was when the space shuttle lifted off with Christa McAuliffe. 73 Seconds later, his worst moment occurred when the Challenger exploded and the world was horrified. (I have a lump in my throat writing this).

ED'S FAVORITE QUOTEGroucho Marx: "I would never belong to any organization that would have me as a member."
Margarita is a favorite word


A WORD ABOUT ED, FROM ME- There are some people that you meet that just make your life better. If you're lucky enough you befriend them. Ed is one of those people. We've been friends for a long time now. He trusted me to promote me to be his deputy, and I have always said that we are like Batman and Robin. We're always working well together to solve things and make the newsroom work well. 
    Ed taught me how the NASA public affairs newsroom should work. He always keeps a cool head even when things get crazy. 
front L to R: Michelle, Ed (the Minister), Rob (Superman)

   It's been such a pleasure to work for someone who you can trust, who is a friend, who will help solve problems and keep calm! 
    He's always referred to himself as "The Minister of Truth" - and one Halloween he dressed as exactly that (of course, I was in my Superman costume).
   I'll miss seeing him in the 2 mornings I'm in the office, because we would each bring the other a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. 
  But there'll be plenty of margaritas available now for Ed and he doesn't have to worry about a work night! :)   
   I just hope I can maintain the legacy established by my "Batman" aka: the Minister of Truth and look forward to hearing about his retirement adventures over dinners. Have fun, Ed - you deserve it. You have left behind an amazing legacy. 
Ed is a HUGE Baseball fan- Often at Nats Park
  - Rob
 

 Here's a word from Ed two weeks before his retirement date (which is today, Dec. 7th) in his own words: 
Steve, Ed, Rob at the retirement party
    I am closing in on the finish line to my NASA career. Was originally planning that tomorrow, December 1, was going to be my last day. Because I still have some things to do, I needed to make an adjustment and now plan that next Friday, December 7, WILL be my last day in office.
     I am taking tomorrow and Monday off but you will find me the rest of next week packing my office, organizing news chief material for handover and attending a few final meetings.
Rob Garner (a great party MC & webmaster), Ed, Rob
     Since I like to make NASA analogies to what I’m doing, my final steps of retirement will be like a Saturn V rocket – it will be in three stages. Stage 1 was yesterday when I had the chance to speak to my fellow GSFC PAOs (Goddard public affairs office) about my NASA career and what I have learned along the way (see attached photo). Stage 2 will come tonight at my farewell party. And stage 3 that will place me in my retirement orbit will be next Friday.
So, this is not my final message. As has been said many times before by various folks – the best is yet to come.
Eduardo

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy