Friday, April 6, 2018

Action Comics Hits #1000 - Launched Superman in 1938 /Rob's memory

Superman's first appearance was in Action Comics #1 in 1938. This month, on April 16, DC Comics is publishing Action Comics #1000! It also marks the 80th Anniversary of Action Comics! As a comic book fan I (Rob) am so excited. I'm still reading Action Comics (and it still stars Superman). In this blog you'll read about my earliest issue and what issue #1000 is about.

MY EARLIEST ACTION COMICS ISSUE
One of the earliest issues of Action Comics that I remember buying and enjoying was #432 in February, 1974. The story featured a new Toyman (the older one, now seen in the CW Network TV show Supergirl, had retired). I remember really enjoying that issue. In the issue, Clark Kent was shooting a commercial at the airport when a criminal similar to the Toyman shrinks and steals a 707. The new Toyman is able to escape by using exploding bubble gum animals to threaten the town below, forcing Superman to abandon the chase to protect the residents.

A BREAK FROM COLLECTING FOR 20 YEARS
From the late 1980s until about 2005 I had stopped buying comics because I moved around the country and went for another degree, so finances were also tough. Meanwhile, my parents held on to much of my collection (which I have now). Since I picked back up reading (DC Comics only) them, I look forward to every Wednesday - which is new Comic book day.

ABOUT ISSUE #1000:
The 80th anniversary celebration of the most important comic book in American history: ACTION COMICS #1, featuring the first appearance of Superman! It’s an extraordinary party as we revisit stories from across the decades, featuring the debuts of not just the Man of Tomorrow, but also Supergirl, Brainiac, the Fortress of Solitude and more!
   See the work of generations of top writers and artists on the original superhero! Enjoy sparkling essays from literary wizards who have won Pulitzer Prizes and hit the bestseller lists, including Jules Feiffer, who relives his memories of when ACTION COMICS #1 first hit newsstands.
    Plus, a historical essay by guest editor Paul Levitz! And as a bonus, don’t miss a previously unpublished 1940s Superman tale believed to be written by Jerry Siegel with art by the Joe Shuster studio, salvaged fifty years ago and hidden away until now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy