Saturday, July 30, 2016

Tarzan of the Apes (Classic Novel & New Movie!) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs
I have loved Tarzan since I was a kid. Of course, what gay guy wouldn't love a handsome, muscular superhero running around in just a loincloth? :) 

In the early 1970s, DC Comics got the rights to publish comic books about Tarzan and his son, Korak. I read many of them. I remember that Joe Kubert was the artist (and he since opened a school for artists). 

DC Comics' Tarzan
  In the late 1970s, Marvel Comics took on Tarzan, but I didn't read many of them. I thought DC Comics did the character better. Regardless, the one thing I NEVER read was the original novel "Tarzan of the Apes" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Marvel Comics' Tarzan
  So, this year, over 40 years later, I FINALLY read the original novel!  Wow.  It was GREAT. It's a classic that everyone should read.

FAST FACT - Tarzan was first published in 1912 in a magazine. In 1914 it was first published as a novel.  I also learned that there were 25 sequels! 

  WHO IS HE? Tarzan is the son of a British lord and lady who were marooned on the Atlantic coast of Africa by mutineers. When Tarzan was only an infant, his mother died, and his father was killed by Kerchak, leader of the ape tribe by whom Tarzan was adopted... and raised. 
The Legend of Tarzan - In theaters now!
NEW MOVIE!  -Coincidentally, there's a NEW film called "the Legend of Tarzan" out this week. We want to see it. Just look at the poster here! :) 


Alexander SkarsgÄrd stars in THE LEGEND OF TARZAN - in theaters July 2016.
http://legendoftarzan.com
http://facebook.com/legendoftarzan

 HERE'S THE TRAILER!: https://youtu.be/dLmKio67pVQ
 

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy