Monday, September 24, 2018

Update: Rob's Dislocated Thumb Surgery

Off with the old clunky cast!
It was the first week in August when I (Rob) had surgery to put my right thumb back into it's socket (using 2 titanium screws). It became dislocated (severely) and it couldn't be popped back in (they tried for about 5 hours in July in a hospital).   Now,  after 7 weeks of wearing a hard cast, I finally got rid of it and it was replaced with a smaller, hand cast. So there's good news times 2, but still an inconvenience for quite a while.

STATUS OF THE THUMB  -  The doc took X-rays and said that after 7 weeks, the bones are fusing fast, but it's not complete.
thumbs up before the 2nd cast

    The whole idea is that the two bones are screwed together then fuse together and seal the joint in the lower thumb.

  THE GOOD PART!  It's actually not an inconvenient thing, and there's a Benefit! The arthritis that hurt like Heck is gone as the joint fuses. So, I appreciate the bright side of it.


   THE INCONVENIENT PART - The less bright side is that I need to continue wearing this hand brace until Mid-November...Ugh. 

   AN IMPROVEMENT - But, I can actually take this off only to shower, so that's much better than putting a plastic newspaper bag over a large hard cast every day. 

The new cast is much smaller and easier to deal with
   HOW IT HAPPENED - I lift weights using dumbbells,and I think that the weight was too heavy against my thumb and popped it out. Oh well! Nothing like getting injured while trying to get healthy! -At least the Arthritis in it will be GONE! Yay!

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy