On Saturday, August 1st, I learned that our good friend Chris passed. I knew he was on hospice, but it's never expected. Today's blog honors Chris and our fond memories and includes a voicemail message I saved from him on April 10, 2026 when he left a brief message.
(Photo: Chris in his favorite outfit- biking shirt, shorts and helmet)
ABOUT CHRIS - Chris worked for the Federal Government and retired several years ago. He has two daughters from his former marriage, and one of his daughters who moved back to the area had visited him often since his cancer journey began.
Funny and Great Storyteller- Chris would always make us laugh. He had the craziest adventures and stories. We would meet in Dunkin Donuts and laugh for a good hour or two.
(Photo from June 2024: Chris posted "Si si si!!!’ Finished earlier this morning! 500 miles to Santiago! Wahoo! What a time!!")
After Chris retired he became an avid biker and he biked across the entire U.S., biked in Canada and then walked hundreds of miles in eastern Europe. That's only since we've known him over the last 7 years. Before that, he did so much more!
**************************************************************
Furniture Refinishing! - After he retired Chris would find old pieces of furniture, chairs, tables, bureaus, etc. and transform them from worn out junk into brilliant, beautifully restored antiques! He was Amazing. - I remember delivering one finished piece with him to a buyer who was thrilled. I also remember picking up other pieces so he could work on them.
CHRIS' CANCER JOURNEY - In the spring of 2024, Chris told me he was staying at a friend's house in Delaware and taking care of his friend's cat when he felt dizzy and fell down. He wound up going to the ER and learned he had a brain tumor. Chris endured several surgeries, and it affected his speech and dexterity in his hands. Since then, he was in rehab trying to recover his speech and dexterity in his hands. We thought he was recovering. Then in 2026 things took a turn for the worse.
( A post from May 2024 from his daughter Megan)
May 2024 - A post from his daughter: Hi friends, My dad, Christopher Laskey, has been courageously fighting brain cancer for the past 10 months (since March 2024). He’s now preparing for a second brain surgery, and we’ve started a GoFundMe to help with medical costs, travel, and care at home. Any support — sharing, donating, or sending good thoughts — truly means a lot 💗 Thank you!
APPRECIATED THE SIMPLE THINGS - On Sept 19, 2024 while Chris was undergoing cancer treatment, he always appreciated the simple things in life. He wrote to someone on his facebook page "thank you! I can say with utmost certainty that my life has never been better!"RESURGENCE - Since then, he was in rehab trying to recover his speech and dexterity in his hands. Apparently, there was some resurgence of the cancer in 2025. He told me earlier this year, that there were fragments still there, and he was undergoing more treatments. He told me he had to go to a hospital in Philadelphia for a time to get treatments. Unfortunately, I happened to be in Maryland for a couple of days when he was away in Philly, and I missed seeing him.
ENCOURAGEMENT BY MAIL - I've been sending Chris weekly postcards since I learned of his cancer. His daughter Megan has been collecting them from his mailbox and delivering them as he was moved to a care facility.
DECLINE - Then things took a turn for the worse, and he began to lose more control of his speech and dexterity. - He started to sleep more. In June, his daughter Megan texted me and told me he was moved into hospice. She said he would sleep most of the day and wake for periods of just 20 minutes at a time.
CHRIS' VOICE April 10, 2026 - Because I knew Chris was in rehab in April 2026, I kept a couple of his voice mail messages. He left me a voicemail message on April 10, 2026 and I wanted to save it for his family and friends. When he passed, I scoured the Internet until I found a way to put his voicemail together with some of his pictures, so I could always hear the sound of his voice. I also put it on YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2HdDx62kKVs
A PHONE CALL - Megan arranged a phone call for me to speak with her and Chris in July. We talked for about 20 minutes, and I could tell he was struggling. It was the last time I heard his voice. I still tear up when I think of it. I'm SO grateful to Megan for making this call.
(Photo: Chris (back left), Jane, Steve, Stacey and Rob in October 2024 when Rob retired. Dinner at a Mexican Restaurant)
THE TEXT - On August 1, 2026 at 2:18 pm ET, Chris' daughter Megan sent me this text when I was at a conference.
"Hi Rob and Tom, I wanted to let you know my dad passed away peacefully yesterday morning. Thank you for being such an incredible friend to him over the years. Your friendship meant so much to him."
I had to leave the conference and sit outside where I had a hard cry for a long time.
I will always treasure my memories with Chris. He was a funny guy who appreciated the simple things. He always knew how to tell a good story, and we will always remember him.





No comments:
Post a Comment